This program provides grants to colleges and universities to fund individual doctoral students who conduct research in other countries, in modern foreign languages and area studies for periods of six to 12 months.
Graduate students in doctoral programs in the fields of foreign languages and area studies must apply through the institutions in which they are enrolled.
Projects deepen research knowledge on and help the nation develop capability in areas of the world not generally included in U.S. curricula. Projects focusing on Western Europe are not supported.
Students may propose research for 6 to 12 months. The fellowship may not be renewed.
Estimated number of awards: 86
Expenses Covered by the Award:
- Travel expenses, including excess baggage to and from the residence of the fellow to the host country of research;
- Maintenance and dependents allowances based on the cost of living in country(ies) of research for the fellow and his or her dependent(s);
- Project allowance for research related expenses such as books, copying, tuition and affiliation fees, local travel and other incidental expenses;
- Health and accident insurance premiums; and
- $100.00 administrative fee to applicant institution.