The mission of the Truman Scholarship Foundation is:
- to find and recognize college juniors with exceptional leadership potential who are committed to careers in government, the nonprofit or advocacy sectors, education or elsewhere in the public service;
- and to provide them with financial support for graduate study, leadership training, and fellowship with other students who are committed to making a difference through public service.
U.S. citizen or U.S. national, upper quarter of class, with very strong record of public service or leadership and strong academic record. Government internships and activism are valued. Should demonstrate a good fit regarding career goals. Applicants should aspire to be a change agent in the public sector. Students apply at the campus level as juniors, based on expected graduation dates (Dec. 2019-Aug. 2020 for those applying in the 2018-19 academic year).
Truman Scholarship recipients would:
- Appreciate external affirmation of my values and goals.
- Like to become associated with Truman Scholar “change agents.”
- Be capable of analyzing a public issue in their intended career area and presenting their findings in a one-page memo to a government official who could take action.
- Be willing to prepare an outstanding application and policy proposal under the supervision of their Truman Faculty Representative.
- Believe they could hold their own in a challenging interview conducted by a panel of prominent public servants, educators, and former Truman Scholars.
- Would like to participate in a summer internship after graduating.
- Could use $30,000 to continue their education.
Depends on graduate degree track. Truman Scholars may defer the award’s graduate funding for up to four years (additional years of deferral are available for Scholars in graduate programs that are supported by other means and Scholars in the Armed Forces). Truman Scholars are required to spend 3 of first 7 years in public service after earning their graduate degree (or the award turns into a loan).
Approximately 50-65 awards annually. Up to $30,000 for graduate school (can be combined with other awards), the eight-week Summer Institute in Washington, D.C., and the option to participate in the Truman-Albright Fellows Program (employment and mentoring) or other opportunities.
Documents, Deadlines, and Submission Instructions
October 16, 2018 by 5PM ET
Applicants: If you are considering applying for this award, you should email FAO staff and share your interest. You should also meet with FAO staff at least once early in the campus, or endorsement, application process. A strong endorsement application typically requires multiple drafts over a period of several weeks or months, and it should be treated as your final application. We therefore recommend that you meet with us as early as possible so that we can get to know you and give you feedback on your campus application.
In order to be considered for this award’s endorsement, you must submit endorsement application materials by the posted campus application deadline with our online submission form (contact us for the link). Please be sure to look at the online submission form before you are ready to submit to make sure everything is formatted correctly. Letters of recommendation are also due by that deadline, but should be submitted by the recommendation writer as noted below.
Letters of Recommendation: It is a good idea to share with your recommenders a draft of your application. Please be sure to read, and then share with each recommender, the guidance from FAO that provides instructions for what to include in the letter. This letter is posted below.
You should not have access to your letters of recommendation. Your recommenders will need to submit their letters of recommendation with a different online submission form (contact us for the link to send them). If they need to submit with a different method or have any difficulty, they should contact FAO staff.
The Truman Scholarship has a specific prompt within a form for each of your three letters of recommendation. Each of your recommenders should use their particular form as the first page of their letter of recommendation. These forms can be found at the end of the above endorsement application document that you will receive when you contact FAO staff for the endorsement application instructions for the campus deadline.
Truman Scholarship NC State endorsement interview date (interview required for endorsement):
To be confirmed. Please hold the following date and time frame on your calendar: October 26, 2018, 8AM-5PM ET. If you will be out of town and cannot reschedule, contact us immediately and no later than the campus deadline.